Saturday 14 July 2012

So Here We Go Again


 It’s been a long while since I last updated this blog, due to a mixture of work load and apathy, but now I’m going to try and start it up again. I won’t be making many major changes to how the blog was, but I think I will focus more specifically on films and politics (primarily American as writing about current British politics makes me too angry) from now on. I also won’t be trying to post every day like I used to last year as this effort, though an interesting experiment, was part of what led to me finding the blog a chore rather than a pleasure.

Quite a bit has changed in the last year, but in many ways things are still the same. My circumstances have shifted but at least to my mind, my personality hasn’t much.

I’ve graduated from university (with a 2:1) and I’m back living in Sheffield, about to begin what could be a long search for a job. I will miss some of the people in Leicester but not the place, the grey blandness of that city replaced by the green and hilly beauty of my home town.

I might occasionally write on here about any plans I make and any major personal revelations and changes that occur, but mostly I’m going to try and keep the focus on the subjects mentioned above and to that end I’m going to rename the blog “Films and Fools: Thoughts on Cinema and Politics”.

I’m not going to write a particularly lengthy piece right now as this is just the first of what I hope will be regular updates and I simply want to announce the entirely unanticipated return of this blog with this post.
Before signing off I will give a quick summary of where I’m at right now, both as an update for people that know me and a starting point for those who don’t.

  • I'm a 21 year old university graduate from Sheffield who studied Journalism and Politics at De Montfort University in Leicester.
  • I want a career within which I can write regularly as my affinity with words is one of the few true skills/talents I believe I possess.
  • I am a film and TV geek, a fan of a range of genres and styles, though my preference will probably become clear over the next few months. To give a brief impression, I loved "The Avengers" and "The Muppets" equally, willingly endured sleep deprivation completing "Lord of the Rings" extended edition and "Star Wars" marathons in the same weekend and passionately believe that "Drive" was the coolest film of the past few years, if not ever.
  • I approach politics from the left of the spectrum, but have become disillusioned with the parties in the UK who are supposed to represent my views.
  • I ramble and rant whether in person or on the Internet and love obscure information and knowledge (going a long way to explaining why I love the BBC quiz show "Pointless")
  • I like lists (a characteristic I blame Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity" for).
  • I'm a man of humble ambitions but lofty ideals.
  • And I found the video below far funnier than I possibly should have.

  


     So that's all for this post but I will most likely write a couple of pieces each about film and American politics in the next few days. I write this post fully aware that previous attempts to start writing again have been squashed by my own inaction, but hopefully that won't be the case here.

No comments:

Post a Comment